New Heights: Doc Sim has started a new CPE group on April 1st. They are presently meeting at Ellinwood Malate Church (in Malate, Manila)
Bukal Life Care: Chap. Vo Canoy (with Diplomate Celia Munson) is in the middle of Summer Intensive. Mid-unit evals are going on April 26 with expected completion of unit in mid-May.
June 2018. There has been a lot of interest in CPE for June. Here are centers that are having CPE begining in June.
Congratulations to the 4 CPE trainees at Glocal Community Center for competion of their first unit of Clinical Pastoral Education. Glocal Community Center is a CPSP-Philippines accredited center headed by Diplomate Supervisor Paul Tabon. It is based in Baguio City with Pines City Doctor’s Hospital as their primary training location. The graduation was hosted by Father Ivo Anselmi at the St. Camillus Novitiate in Baguio City.
We don’t always know what is going in on our training centers at all times. We welcome being updated. But here are some programs that are gong on at this time.
–Baguio City. Supervisor’s in Training Vo and Lyn, under the oversight of Supervisor Celia, are holding full and half unit extended CPE, starting in mid-October. This is Lyn’s first time as SIT.
— Manila. Supervisor Sim is supervising an extended CPE group at Cosmopolitan Church, Ermita, Manila. in Parish/Community-based chaplaincy.
–Bulacan. SIT Renato is supervising a unique CPO (Clinical Pastoral Orientation) in Industrial (or Corporate) Chaplaincy. This is his first supervision.
–Zamboanga City. Chaplain Phanuel is supervising his fourth CPO group in hospital-based chaplaincy.
CPE has been in the Philippines for over 4 decades. However, often people struggle to find CPE programs in the Philippines. Sometimes it is due to lack of promotion or a small “footprint” on-line. Here are some major certifiers or accredited programs in the Philippines.
- CPSP-Philippines. Centered in Baguio City, we have programs in Baguio, Manila, and Iloilo, with new programs being started in Zamboanga and Bulacan. We have been around since 2011, and formally partnered with CPSP in the US since 2015. www.cpspp.org.
- Asia Association for Clinical Pastoral Education (AACPE). This is the oldest program in the Philippines, formerly known as PCF (Pastoral Care Foundation). It has programs in Manila, Davao, Cebu, and Baguio. They have a nice updated website: https://www.aacpe.asia/
- Philippine Association of Clinical Pastoral Education and Practice (PACPEP). It has ties with Siliman University, through its School of Clinical Pastoral Education. It appears that it has training centers in Negros, Iloilo, and Cebu. Perhaps other locations as well. The only website I have for them is an FB Group. There may be a better website somewhere. https://www.facebook.com/Pacpep-Filipinas-711476479198539/
- Vanderpol Center for Leadership and Pastoral Formation. This group is based in Metro Manila, and is connected ministerially to Philippine Children’s Medical Center. It is linked to the Center for Spiritual Care and Pastoral Formation (CSCPF) based in the US. Their website is https://vanderpolcenter.wordpress.com/
There are other groups that do CPE that do it without necessarily a direct form of certification. One group that we work with as a Community-based CPE program tied to ATESEA and ACTS (Aglipay Central Theological Seminary) in Urdaneta, Pangasinan. It supports the principles and skillset associated with traditional CPE, but with a different training structure. There are other groups as well. You are welcome to look around, and we would welcome information that will help us better be updated on the CPE landscape of the Philippines, so we can be better compentent to partner, and refer.
Supervisor Cal Sodoy, head of Clinical Pastoral and Spiritual Care Training Center, has given his schedule for the rest of the year.
- April 23 – May 18. CPE for graduate students at CPU School of Theology (Jaro, Iloilo City)
- July 2 – Aug 31. CPE with post-grad students in Davao City
- Sept 3 – 30. Teaching Pastoral Theology at CPU School of Theology
- Oct 8 – Nov 18. CPE graduate students. Capiz Emmanuel Hospital, Roxas City
- Nov 22 – Dec 31. Church-building project, Tablas Island, Romblon
The following presentations provides a quick overview of the principles of training associated with CPE. The first one comes from the Bukal Life Care website. (Bukal Life Care is one of our accredited training centers.) The second is from CPSP-Philippines